Friday 31 January 2014

HITCH HIKERS GUIDE TO THE GALAXY by Nigel Hare & Kudos

HITCH HIKERS GUIDE TO THE GALAXY by Nigel Hare

If you have read the book or even seen the original BBC series you may want to steer clear of this movie. It does twist the plot to fit. It does concentrate on the relationship between Trillian and Arthur Dent (Watson from Sherlock; Martin Freeman) which doesn't even exist in the original trilogy. It does leave out some of my favorite scenes and anecdotes that made the books so readable. Even two headed Zaphod, so rec...ognizable from the BBC series seems to be missing something: a head. I was almost at the 'shout at the TV' with a rant at how the American film industry is killing our English culture in the effort to earn a dollar when something strange happened; I laughed. But that isn't surprising when we remember that Douglas Adams helped make this movie: co wrote the script and has an executive producer credit, so it can't be all that bad. When it finished with the obligatory set up for the sequel (if the dollars add up) I did feel satisfied enough to want more. I am a fan of the books and have been since I read the first one in one sitting as a teenager, and I have read and re read the whole trilogy, is it 5 or 6 books now! I recommend that you read them but this is a film club not a book club and I do recommend this movie to you, not as a great movie but a slightly better than average one.
For the geeks among us: try and spot the original Marvin robot; you'll get no points for spotting the cameo role from the original Arthur from the BBC series. (I do know it all started with the radio plays before anyone gets pedantic on my ass)


HITCH HIKERS GUIDE TO THE GALAXY by Kudos

you will take from this what you bring with you, would fall flat on many a deaf brain but even without a babel fish the messages are clear, splendidly surreal and relentless in tipping sacred cows, added to my top 3 favourite films, in 3rd place, of course life of brain is 2nd.......................


http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0371724/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_12

No comments:

Post a Comment