Sunday 16 March 2014

NYMPHOMANIC VOL I/VOL II by Michael Hayward

NYMPHOMANIC VOL I/VOL II by Michael Hayward
 
Nymphomaniac Vol I/Vol II
OK, I'll admit that I enjoy dark subject matter and many of the most disturbing films I've seen are foreign language but films from Denmark aren't usually among them. This film centres on Joe, a self-proclaimed nymphomaniac who is found laid in an alley barely conscious and nursed back to health by a kind man who listens to her tales of woe. Now, the film is graphic, it's a Lars Von Trier movie after all and with scenes that are intended to shock in ...much the same vein as Baise Moi or Irreversible for example, but this is a more mainstream movie with some big Hollywood names among the castlist to boot. I guess that made the fact that I could find no real depth to any of the characters nor feel anything towards their plight even more of a shame. The lead character is a nymphomaniac, only she doesn't seem to enjoy sex, there's not a shred of feeling behind any of the graphic scenes and little point to them either as they don't help the plot and the scenes themselves feels very clinical. The plot is weak, there's little point to it all and I was left wondering why I'd bothered. Not for me, I'd score it 2/10. 1 for each half. Actually the one stand-out performance for me was Uma Thurman as a cheated wife. She does 'on the verge of implosion' with aplomb. Shame that was the highlight and over briefly.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment